Cookies help us provide you with the best possible service. Please select one of the options for your consent. More info can be found on our Policy Page.
Five Exercises To Improve Your Posture
Take a look at five fantastic posture improving exercies you can do at home or even when you're on the road, without the need of a gym or any fancy equipment. By regularly performing these exercises for just a few weeks you'll see some incredible changes in both your posture and how you feel!.
Bad posture is a common problem for so many people today, we all spend so much time in the office hunched over computers, sat in our car seats sat in traffic or just slumped over on the sofa watching TV. Unfortunately this all builds up to give us some bad posture habits and even some aches and pains.
The good news however, is that by doing the right exercises regularly, bad posture can be fixed. Below are 5 fantastic exercises you can do at home or on the move that can help you stand tall and feel great once again!
It is recommended that you perform these exercises every other day, and aim to do 10 repetitions and two sets (rounds) of each exercise. This may be challenging at first but trust us, if you persevere, we guarantee after even just two weeks you will start to feel fantastic!
Exercise 1: Banded Pull Apart
The banded pull-apart is a resistance band exercise that primarily targets the middle back and to a lesser degree, also the forearms and shoulders.
• Place your hands in both loops of your posture band.
• Hold the band behind your shoulders
• Keep tension on the band and pull your arms apart, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Exercise 2: Shoulder Rotation
The resistance band shoulder external rotation is an exercise that primarily targets the shoulders. Improving mobility and strength in upper back.
• Place both hands in the loops of your posture band.
• Pull the band apart (apply tension) in front of you.
• Raise arms lifting the band above your head and down your back towards your hips.
• Return to the start position reversing the process above.
Exercise 3: Single Arm Shoulder Press
The single arm shoulder press is an exercise that primarily targets the shoulders and to a lesser degree also targets the chest and triceps.
• Place your foot in one loop of the posture band and your hand in the other.
• Start with you hand just over shoulder height.
• Raise your hand above your head pushing upwards for the start position.
• Return to the start position and repeat
Exercise 4: Lateral Raise (Side Raise)
The lateral raise is an exercise that primarily targets the shoulders, adding tension to the posture band throughout the movement will improve your stability and strength
• Place posture band over one foot
• With a straight arm, lift your arm up from your side
• Raise up just above shoulder height, and lower back to starting position
Exercise 5: Bent Over Fly
The single-leg hip thrust is an exercise that primarily targets the glutes and to a lesser degree also targets the calves, groin, hamstrings, hip flexors, lower back and quads.
• Place the band into both hands
• Bend forwards keeping your back straight, pivot from hips.
• Keeping your arms straight stretch the band bringing your arms up
• Squeeze shoulder blades at highest point of movement
Hints & Tips:
Don’t forget to work slowly, controlling your movements and breathing deeply and evenly. If you find that 10 repetitions or 2 sets is too much, then tailor your exercise plan to suit your level of fitness. We also recommend that if you are experiencing any pain then stop, take a break and give them a go another day.
Most of all, enjoy your exercises! Not only are they a genuinely effective way of improving your back health and posture, they can be a brilliant way of getting 15-30 minutes peace and quiet throughout the day to clear your mind and focus on yourself.
You can purchase your very own Posture Band by clicking the image below: